We live in a connected world. Globally, we’ve become a tighter community, while locally, we’ve become more global. The internet has delivered on convenience, allowing anyone with a connection to see, learn about, and communicate with any individual or …
Where and how we work is changing
Call it the natural evolution of business culture, a newly-realized measure of sensible economics, or the inevitable result of an internet-dependent society — whichever you choose, you’re right. It’s the way of the world that an increasing number of us perform the duties of our jobs in the comfort of coffee shops, hotels, restaurants, and airports. Public Wi-Fi speedily raced past “luxurious convenience” and into the territory of “daily necessity” for much of today’s workforce. As the trend blossoms further, cybersecurity becomes ever more important for everyone.
What’s it going to be this summer — an island? An exotic city? Disney? Where will you vacation?
Attention, fellow parents. An important topic has been on all our minds for a while now, and it’s high time we discuss it as a group. It’s not exaggerating to say the ramifications of these decisions are no less important than the safety and sanity of future generations.
To showcase what it can actually do for you, we’ve tested the before and after situation on typical phones. Check out the results!
Do you ever get the feeling you’re being watched? Guess what — every time you pull out your smartphone or tablet and surf the internet, you are. The websites you visit, the items you browse and buy, the videos you stream, and where you were located when you did it. All of this paints a picture of who you are, what you do, and what interests you — all vital information to advertisers and marketers.
Online privacy is under the microscope, no doubt about it — first the US lost net neutrality, then the news breaks about Cambridge Analytica and 87 million Facebook users, and then we’ve got the GDPR which just took effect last week. Amidst all this opining, lobbying, arguing, and defending, it’s interesting to see who is riled up about the matter and who is not. How concerned are YOU about having your privacy protected online?
Cybersecurity encompasses multiple defenses. It’s not just an antivirus, it’s not just a VPN, it’s not just a password manager, internet security, and anti-track software. It’s all these things and more, working together to ensure every vulnerability is protected, whether the threats are coming from a phishing email, a malicious website, a botnet, public Wi-Fi, or other avenue. Cybercriminals are trying every angle to crack into our data, and they won’t rest until they do.
Click to view a larger version of the infographic here.
We need to defend our digital lives comprehensively. Here are 5 ways to protect yourself online:
- Get Antivirus Protection: Every month, our network protects hundreds of millions of users from 2 billion malware attacks. Avast Premier is our top-of-the-line antivirus that stops emerging threats, ransomware, spyware, and then some.
- Use a VPN to encrypt your internet connection: A VPN protects your privacy online by masking your IP address and providing an encrypted connection between you and the internet. Access streaming shows when you travel, safely use a public Wi-Fi, and remain anonymous online.
- Use a fast, secure, and private browser: Get state-of-the-art protection for all your online activities—plus ad-blocking, anti-tracking, and anti-fingerprinting. This makes it impossible for others to create an online profile of you. Avast Secure Browser includes all this and it’s up to 4x faster than your standard browser.
- Make your passwords unique and strong: Ever-changing, complex passwords are key to data protection. Use a password manager to securely sync your passwords across all your computers, smartphones, and tablet
devices. Avast Passwords Premium is a great option for
managing your passwords and it also has the added benefit of detecting when sites have been compromised and prompts you to change your password.
- While you’re at it, speed up and clean up your PC: Along with all this protection, apply a full optimization suite like Avast Cleanup Premium which includes over 10 features to improve your PC’s reliability and speed. Our patented technologies provide next-gen tuning and cleaning which frees up disk space, removes bloatware, fixes problems, and increases speed.
1. Do this to make sure you’re on the right booking website, and not an evil twin
Every year, millions are lost — and countless vacations ruined — by fake booking sites crafted to look just like the real ones. Imagine handing your payment over an airline or hotel, and showing up the day of the trip to find out they’ve never heard of you.
According to statistics database Statista, 2017 saw an estimated 1.66 billion shoppers purchase goods online, grossing an incredible 2.3 trillion US dollars. This means online shopping is certainly here to stay. Moreover, it’s projected to grow more popular and more prevalent as time goes on. With that in mind, let’s do a deep dive into the evolution of online shopping, discussing the best practices we should all adopt and why.