A few weeks ago, we told you about Obad, a backdoor Trojan that targets the Android operating system. This Trojan affects all Android OS users, and it is strongly recommended that you address this flaw immediately!
What does Obad do?
Essentially, Obad enables the downloading of malicious apps onto your Android device right under your nose – these apps have the dangerous ability to take advantage of your device’s admin capability without your knowledge. The apps are created so that they don’t show up in your device’s admin screen, ultimately preventing you from uninstalling the app even if McAfee Mobile Security identifies the app as a malicious one.
McAfee has created a free app, McAfee Hidden Device Admin Detector, now available on Google Play, to protect your Android device. Upon installation, use the app to scan your device for apps that have been granted device admin privileges, unbeknownst to you.
Which devices are affected?
Any device running the Android OS.
How does it work?
1. It’s hidden. Obad runs in the background of your phone so you may not know if you even have it or if you have unknowingly installed an infected app. It’s so well hidden that once Device Administrator privileges have been granted to the app, the malware does not appear in the device administrator list, making it impossible to delete it without root privileges
2. It executes remote commands. Devices infected with Obad can be controlled remotely by a Command and Control (C&C) server. The attacker can send a variety of commands such as:
- Making your mobile send unauthorized text messages (e.g. to Premium Rate numbers);
- Downloading other malicious apps and installing them on the infected device;
- Harvesting sensitive information (e.g. list of installed apps, user’s contact list);
- And acquiring the account balance (via USSD command).
How does McAfee Hidden Device Admin Detector work?
It scans and detects malicious apps that have been granted device administrator privileges and are hidden to prevent removal. The apps are then visible to you so that you may uninstall them from your Android device.
See screenshots of McAfee Hidden Device Admin Detector in action:
Do I need to be a McAfee customer to be able to take advantage of this free app?
No. McAfee wants to ensure all Android users are safe, therefore, this app is available for free to all Android device users via Google Play.
Will the McAfee Hidden Device Admin Detector eventually be a part of McAfee Mobile Security?
Yes. We are planning to have it integrated as part of McAfee Mobile Security later this year, however, we wanted to make sure to have a solution that addresses Obad available as soon as possible for all Android users.
What is the cost of this app and how can I get it?
McAfee Hidden Device Admin Detector is available for free on Google Play, via the free McAfee Mobile Innovations App.
Don’t let your Obad take control of your phone and sensitive data – download McAfee Hidden Device Admin Detector today.