Earlier this week AVAST released a new Android app called avast! Ransomware Removal that will remove SimplLocker from infected devices.
SimplLocker blocks access to files on infected mobile devices by encryting them. Without our free ransomware removal tool, infected users have to pay $21 to regain access to their personal files. SimplLocker is the first ransomware that actually encrypts files, so we developed a free tool for people to restore them. – Said Ondrej Vlcek, Chief Operating Officer at AVAST Software.
After being available on Google Play for a few days to the public, the app has already been received with huge enthusiasm. We, however, spotted some questions regarding the tool on social media and addressed to our support team. In this article we will explain, how to install, run the tool and why it is important to uninstall it after AVAST has done its job!
1. How can I install the avast! Ransomware Removal tool, if my mobile is already being blocked by the malware?
- Go to http://play.google.com from your computer.
- Log in to Google Play with the same user information you use to log in to your phone.
- Find the the avast! Ransomware Removal app.
- Click the “Install” button and the app will be installed on your device shortly.
2. How do I can run the application?
- After the app is installed on your phone, click the app name from within the notification bar.
- The app will run and provide you with further instructions.
- Run a scan and wait until it has successfully removed the ransomware.
- Uninstall the app at the end (you can install it again in the future if necessary).
3. Why am I prompted to uninstall avast! Ransomware Removal, once I finish the scan and the ransomware has been removed?
This is one of the most frequent questions being asked by users. We asked for more details from our experts. Here is an explanation from AVAST developer Jan Svehlak:
Ransomware locks users out of their devices, meaning the malware loads its ransom screen before other apps even have a chance to load. The avast! Ransomware Removal app needs to override the SimplLocker malware first, in order to access the device. However, if not uninstalled after the scan, it will continue to override all apps on the device, meaning it will block all other apps from opening. Therefore avast! Ransomware Removal needs to be uninstalled after accomplishing its task: unlocking your device.
Last but not least, we believe that preventing is much more efficient than fixing an existing issue. To keep your devices protected from Cryptolocker, SimplLocker, and other ransomware, make sure to also install avast! Free Mobile Security & Antivirus from the Google Play store. It can detect and remove the malware before it is deployed.
Thank you for using avast! Antivirus and recommending us to your friends and family. For all the latest news, fun and contest information, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Business owners – check out our business products.